I was off Instagram for a month. I resumed posting on Instagram recently after taking a month’s break. The break was not initially planned to last that long. I felt it was going to be a couple of days or a week at most.
Let’s chat a bit about where my head was at when I decided to leave right? I was tired, I was triggered. Everything was a lot and it was exhausting in my personal life.
I needed the break to be invincible so I took it. I was still on other social media platforms because Instagram brought up the most random emotions in me and I was still checking the App, I was just not posting, that was what I needed.
What I learned after not posting for a month on Instagram
- It was freeing, as someone who enjoys sharing, documenting, and a content creator whose job is pretty much to be online, it can be exhausting when you consistently feel the pressure to be online & post. There was nothing like that. It felt like true freedom.
- I had more time – Since I was not creating content, not even slightly bothered about what to post, I had more time to focus on other things and even audit my social media presence.
- It was a good reminder that my identity is not tied up in our social platforms – it is easy to feel sucked in and represented by your social media accounts and taking the break felt good. I was still completely me, living my life and having fun. Not sharing it did not make my life any less valid or my enjoyment any less sweet.
- Instagram brings some truly amazing things to my life – and I missed them!
I missed my community so much, this was hard, the conversations and thought exchange was fun. Not having that made me want it so bad and it’s one of my best parts for being back online. I also missed the extra source of income that came with the App.
- I will take more Instagram breaks – Having done this and realized how refreshed I feel, I am going to remind myself to take breaks, the outside can be overwhelming.
Now that I’m back on Instagram with a fresh perspective, I’m focusing on being intentional about how and what I share and receive.
If you are thinking about taking an Instagram break. DO IT. If you think it is going to be difficult. That’s the more reason why you need it.
You can follow me on Instagram @Olotufunke